On 10/4/2022 2:35 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> writes:

what is sent to the printer .. maybe not pdf but something the printer
driver produces

For the Ricoh and Samsung printers, we printed the raw PDF directly
over JetDirect (port 9100).  For the Brother, the "upload PDF"
function was used.  So no outside printer drivers involved.

If I run it through Ghostscript, that somehow fixes it:
gs -dPDF -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=print.pdf foo.pdf
normally gs complains when there is an issue