Hi Oli,

> Thank four your effort. I found out, that the following definition of a new
> unit, i called it SI, results also in a correct spaceing in the math
> environment:
>
> \defineunit[SI][alternative=text]
>
> It seems, that the option alternative=text solves the problem with no spaces
> between value and unit in the math environment.

That is a terrific solution that doesn’t require any messing with
phys-dim.mkxl. You do not need to define a new unit. I got your result using
this line:

\setupunits[alternative=text]

This fixed the most significant problems with \unit in most situations. I’m
still applying some of my solutions as well.

Thanks!
Gavin