Hi Joel,

I get this error frequently when I forget to stop an environment, for example a
\startsection with no \stopsection or a \startplacefigure with no
\stopplacefigure. This freqeuntly doesn’t cause an error because the engine is
happily packing my entire book into a margin figure.

See if there something you should have stopped near the place where things go
bad?

Good luck!
Gavin