Hi,

There have been some mails about punctuation spacing and a fix was added to the engine that related to that. As tests showed it to be okay so we made an update. It took a bit longer than normal because we were in the middle of some other math stuff: additional fonts and extensibles.

Daniel Flipo maintains a few math fonts (like concrete, xcharter, erewhon, kp, euler) and the last few weeks more extensive support for extensibles was added and concrete became quite nice too, so these fonts make a nice benchmark. As they are part of the lmtx install and we made sure to support them.

In the process we adapted our 2023 roadmap of which part is attached (we included an example end then decided to show of concrete).

When we go through the process of 'upgrading' we noticed some interesting names for symbols and 'constructs'. Quite some come from plain and/or amsmath (in the past taco and aditya did some porting to context) and we're not always sure if something is really used (or even what it was intended for) so if you notice something weird or missing, let us know. Examples are welcome too. It might also be that something can go away because it's obsolete or never needed (so far we could resist te kick-out-symbole-name temptation when it comes to symbol names that we think no sane user can remember or imagine to be there).

When often add extra tests to the test suite (math subsection).

Hans & Mikael

ps. Alan and I are still messing around with some cross referencing. That code is still experimental and can have issues that we're looking at but hard to nail down (huge complex cross-referencing documents). More about that later.

==================================

We added the tex of the pdf below

====== extract from roadmap ======

\usemodule[article-basic,abbreviations-logos]

\setupbodyfont[concrete]

\starttext

\startsubject[title=Math in \CONTEXT\ roadmap]

\startitemize[n]

\startitem
After playing with math support for more than a year, we have come to the
    conclusion that it is time to move on. We have already discarded italic
correction and now are replacing rules with extensibles. Much was already in place (and applied) but experiences with type one antykwas made us review some \OPENTYPE\ fonts. Not using rules makes some of them look better. The effect is subtle and probably not \AMS\ compliant, but we think that it will
    work out well for simple math like fractions of decimal numbers.
    Consequently, we have added to our shrinking to-do list the burden to
investigate whether we can remove those obsolete code paths from the engine. After all, who needs italic correction, who prefers ugly rules to beautiful glyphs, and who understands all these font parameters? Furthermore, after all these years, we don't expect \OPENTYPE\ font and \UNICODE\ math technologies to improve much; we don't know if \MICROSOFT\ is developing their technology further at all. Therefore, we are confident that what we are doing is the way it should have been done when math was upgraded. Hopefully users will notice
    the improvements.
\stopitem

\startitem
Math also means physics and units (that topic was brought up recently on the
    list by Gavin). Therefore, because we're in cleanup mode, we decided to
eliminate some more. With \ISO\ now in place for a long time, we are going to ignore the existence of the inch as unit from now on. The unit will probably remain in the engine for nostalgic reasons, but it will no be accepted in
    MWE. Instead, we will provide some more modern, culturally correct,
kid-friendly units that we will use in examples, manuals and such. Because the four-person strong team dealing with this wants to avoid making mistakes, we will go through a careful and scientifically sound process of calibration first, using a selected tex savvy audience. We expect these new units to be stable a month from now. Believe it or not, in the process of documenting all this, we found a buglet in the new math dimension spacing, so it has already paid off. Expect to hear more in a month or so, and enjoy your inches as long as you still can. In case you wonder how this relates to math other than mentioned: the math subsystem has 'mu' as adaptive unit, and that inspired is
    to come up with one for text (in addition to two new more or less fixed
    units).
\stopitem

\startitem
The math family model is a fundamental concept in \TEX\ but we think we can do without. First of all, \OPENTYPE\ math fonts have (design) script and scriptscript sizes built in, so for that we have one family. Second, only
    full bold (heavy) makes sense as companion for regular math which is
    something that in practice we can support otherwise. So, this makes us
consider dropping families altogether which then provides (mem) space for
    even more classes or dictionaries. If we nevertheless decide to keep
families, we can certainly go with less than we have now, maybe two (or four if we want to be generous and also resemble original tex) of them is enough. We cannot imagine users wanting more. As a side note: completely divorcing families could make the math engine a bit leaner. It is hard to explain and
    users only care about the outcome. So more on this later.
\stopitem

\startitem
    Another path to explore is to identify the few building blocks that are
needed for typesetting math, and then doing a bit more at the tex end. Of course that would nil quite some earlier effort, which is a bit frustrating, but still \unknown\ maybe the math engine can be reduced to a fraction of
    what is is now.
\stopitem

\startitem
When we look at the math fonts and some characters in there, we sometimes wonder what makes sense. For some, searching in e.g. arXiv brings no hit. Basically we have obsolete math symbols and currently used one. That made us think about ancient math versus modern math, just like there is ancient greek and modern greek. Because math is a script one can wonder about obsolete math dialects with symbols just like there are plenty deal scripts in \UNICODE. We
    already are working on dictionaries but another axis is useability.
\stopitem

\startitem
    We no longer have the small / large extensible family model so we can
simplify delimiters in the engine. Not something users should worry about.
\stopitem

\startitem
    We're not sure why math is considered stable because everything moved
forward. Therefore we're preparing a bid for extra math symbols as needed in modern explorative and daring math thesis. When symbols are really used, and we have proof of that, it should be possible to get them un \UNICODE, just like all these emoji. We welcome input and as an example of currently faked
    symbols we added some to the distribution as easter eggs. One example:

    Mikael got contacted by a stressed student working on a thesis on
probability. This student needed to typeset the characteristic function of a
    random variable \im {X} with density function \im {f_{X}}, and it was
insisted to use another notation than the (wide) hat, that was already used for something else. For this reason the \tex {widerandomhat} was introduced,

    \useMPlibrary[newmath]

    \startformula
        E[\ee^{\ii tX}] = \widerandomhat{f_{X}}(t)\mtp{,}
E[\ee^{\ii t(X_1+X_2)}] = \widerandomhat{f_{X_1} \ast f_{X_2}}(t)\mtp{.}
    \stopformula

    Naturally, it is automatically scaled, just like the ordinary wide hat

    \startformula
        \widehat{a+b+c+d+e+f} \neq \widerandomhat{a+b+c+d+e+f}
    \stopformula

    Once the thesis is printed, we will contact the \UNICODE\ Consortium to
    suggest that it gets a slot.
\stopitem

\startitem
Our most ambitious project is a reverse engineering one, which is why it is
    conducted at the engineering faculty of the Dnul university (we cannot
reveal the real name yet). In math articles one can find visualizing like $x\leftarrow x$ and there are plenty of \TEX\ commands that have arrow or
    hook in their names. If you look at the names of math symbols plenty
are kind of weird. We think it is not natural and are considering a \quote {natural language math input} project, where you tell what it is and get the symbols you expect. For that we need to analyze typeset math and from the context as well as visualization derive a dataset that we can feed into a machine learning subsystem that then can be used to turn input into type. We have several stages in mind spanning years but it can be fun. Think of it like \quote {untagged math} which then of course results in \quote {untagged
    pdf}, but better!
\stopitem

\stopitemize

Mikael & Hans