I am trying to have two numbered itemizations, with a paragraph in between,
such that the second list starts where the first left off, without having to
manually calculate the new start point.  The following does not work, and I do
not understand why.

        Mike

\starttext
\definecounter[mynumber][]
\startitemize[n]
\item The first item.
\item The second item
\item Item number \currentitemnumber{}, the last one.
\setcounter[mynumber][\currentitemnumber]
\stopitemize

The \type{\getnumber[mynumber]} value is \getnumber[mynumber].
\incrementcounter[mynumber]

And now the big finish, start at \getnumber[mynumber]:
\startitemize[n][start=\getnumber[mynumber]] % WHY DOES THIS FAIL?
\item Picking up where we left off.

\item And all is well.
\stopitemize
Done!