On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 02:01:14PM -0700, Thangalin via ntg-context wrote:
> Thanks Otared,
>
> Unfortunately, that's adding content between \starttext and \stoptext,
> which isn't tenable in my situation. The user is writing in Markdown, which
> is automatically converted to XHTML then passed to ConTeXt, and so the
> setups need to account for this scenario without modifying the source
> document.

Yeah yeah yeah, tenable. A lot of things aren't tenable. Anyhow,
What source document are you talking about here?

You're already sourcing the lines after chapter one. As a matter of
fact, if you weren't sourcing, then you'd have zilch, nada, zero, empty,
null, void, an space, a separation, an abstract

Just define Kermit Muffins and it should be good to go

\setupinitial[n=2]

\def\KermitMuffins{\vbox{Kermit Muffins\par\hskip 1.3cm \tfd Meet me at
the second line}}

\setuphead[chapter][
  after={\placeinitial},
  page=no,
]

\starttext
\chapter{one}
\KermitMuffins

\chapter{two}
\input knuth

Meet me at the second line.
\stoptext

> Cheers!
>
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 1:30 AM Otared Kavian via ntg-context <
> ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Adding \hfill\break to the short line solves the issue, but probably there
> > is a better way to achieve the correct result.
> >
> > \setupinitial[n=2]
> >
> > \setuphead[chapter][
> >   after={\placeinitial},
> >   page=no,
> > ]
> >
> > \starttext
> > \chapter{one}
> > Kermit Ruffins \hfill\break % <---
> >
> > Meet me at the second line.
> >
> > \chapter{two}
> > \input knuth
> >
> > Meet me at the second line.
> > \stoptext
> >

> > Best regards: Otared
> >
> > On 13 Jun 2023, at 04:43, Thangalin via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I'm using KeenWrite Themes (specifically, Boschet) to typeset a chapter
> > wherein the first letter is a lettrine. When the first paragraph is too
> > short, the second paragraph overlaps the lettrine.
> >
> > % SOT
> > \setupinitial[n=2]
> >
> > \setuphead[chapter][
> >   after={\placeinitial},
> >   page=no,
> > ]
> >
> > \starttext
> > \chapter{one}
> > Kermit Ruffins
> >
> > Meet me at the second line.
> >
> > \chapter{two}
> > \input knuth
> >
> > Meet me at the second line.
> > \stoptext
> > % EOT
> >
> > Produces: https://i.stack.imgur.com/kNDqw.png
> >
> > How would you instruct ConTeXt to "protect" the lettrine such that
> > regardless of whether the first paragraph spans multiple lines, a short
> > first paragraph will still prevent the second paragraph from overlapping
> > the lettrine?
> >
> > That is, the setups should work in both cases, without any knowledge about
> > the first paragraph length being added between \starttext and \stoptext.
> >
> > ConTeXt LMTX version: 2023.06.04 18:58
> >
> > Thank you!

> > ___________________________________________________________________________________
> >

> > Otared Kavian
> > e-mail: ota...@gmail.com <ota...@gmail.com>
> > Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

... an anecdote from IBM's Yorktown Heights Research Center.  When a
programmer used his new computer terminal, all was fine when he was sitting
down, but he couldn't log in to the system when he was standing up.  That
behavior was 100 percent repeatable: he could always log in when sitting and
never when standing.

Most of us just sit back and marvel at such a story; how could that terminal
know whether the poor guy was sitting or standing?  Good debuggers, though,
know that there has to be a reason.  Electrical theories are the easiest to
hypothesize: was there a loose wire under the carpet, or problems with static
electricity?  But electrical problems are rarely consistently reproducible.
An alert IBMer finally noticed that the problem was in the terminal's
keyboard: the tops of two keys were switched.  When the programmer was seated
he was a touch typist and the problem went unnoticed, but when he stood he was
led astray by hunting and pecking.
                -- "Programming Pearls" column, by Jon Bentley in CACM February
1985