Am 07.08.23 um 14:17 schrieb Marcus Vinicius Mesquita:
Thank you for the answers, Bruce, Pablo and Hraban. I was not aware of
ActualText.

I work on a manjaro linux, and I tested the example Pablo sent on
several programs:

mupdf-gl or mupdf: fails! [mupdf-gl is what I customarily use for its
blazing speed]
firefox: fails
vivaldi: passes
okular: passes
qpdfview: passes
evince: passes

Thank you for researching! I’ll include this in my viewer matrix. (But probably not before the ConTeXt meeting.)

But \pdfbackendactualtext is actually just what I needed since it can
be used also for other things like:

\starttext
what a \pdfbackendactualtext{\hyphenatedword{wonderful}}{wonderful} text
\stoptext

I’m not sure but I’d guess ActualText is also suitable for alternative texts (AltText) of images? Wouldn’t it make sense to have an alttext key in \externalfigure for accessibility (PDF/UA)?

Hraban