Hi,

There has been some additions to itemize wrt columns. One problem with columns is that we have a 'cross page' and 'balancing' situation. The existing columns features has been improved a bit.

That leaves the problem that mixing single and multi columns is not really tex's strong point. So, when Mikael and I were looking at one of his documents that mixes a lot of math into itemized situations, a different variant was made (ok, there was another reason but that's a bit technical).

At that time, I had already adapted itemize to work a bit better with bTABLE and starttabulate (nesting, trial mode etc), think of

\bTABLE \bTR \bTD
\startitemize[a]
\startitem
    \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
\stopitem
\startitem
    \startitemize[n]
    \startitem
        \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
    \stopitem
    \startitem
        \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
    \stopitem
    \stopitemize
\stopitem
\startitem
    \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
\stopitem
\stopitemize
\eTD \eTR \eTABLE

or with tabulate

\startitemize[n]
\starttabulate[||k2|]
    \NC \startitem test \stopitem
    \NC \startitem test \stopitem \NC \NR
    \NC \startitem test \stopitem
    \NC \startitem test \stopitem \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stopitemize

so basically inside these tables items can be dealt with. Don't wonder too much how this translates into structure.

So, back the columns, a logical next step was to add tabulated columns to itemize:

\startitemizetable[n,four]
    \dorecurse{10}{
        \startitem
            \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
        \stopitem
        \startitem
            \im{\sqrt{x^5}}
        \stopitem
        \startitem
            \im{\frac{x^5}{x^5}}
        \stopitem
    }
\stopitemizetable

or with

\defineitemgroup[xxxx]

because every itemgroup also gets an additional pair of commands defined.

\startxxxxtable[n,four][inbetween={\blank[big]}]
    \dorecurse{10}{
        \startitem
            \im{\sqrt{1/x}}
        \stopitem
        \startitem
            \im{\sqrt{\frac{2}{x}}}
        \stopitem
        \startitem
            \im{\frac{3}{x}}
        \stopitem
    }
    \startitem
        \im{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^4}}}
    \stopitem
    \startitem
        \im{\sqrt{x^5}}
    \stopitem
\stopxxxxtable

etc etc. The distance can be set with columndistance and vertical spacing with inbetween.

This kind of columnizing has the advantage that esp with math that has different heights all aligns rather well. A limitation is that we number horizontally but that actually makes sense when we cross pages (I might cook up a transposed numbering but it's not entirely trivial).

The first one who uses this other than Mikael is invited to wikify it.

Hans

ps. The page columns also have some improvements but that's for next month.