On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:09:32 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You get the same error with Latin Modern as soon as you use a non
> predefined font size in combination with bold math.

True, thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware and frankly,
that's rather unexpected behaviour.

So to put it all together, this now works for me:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [TeX Gyre Heros]

\starttypescript [math] [default] [size]
  \definebodyfont [8.5pt] [mm] [default]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math] [pagella]

\setupbodyfont [mainface, 8.5pt]

\starttext
  \math{V_y}
  \bold{\math{V_y}}