Hi Hans (and anyone else interested in synctex),

On Fri, Dec  8, 2023 at 11:38 (-0400), Jim wrote:

> Hi Hans,

> On Fri, Dec  8, 2023 at 15:03 (+0100), Hans Hagen wrote:

>> On 12/7/2023 7:23 PM, Jim wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> In mtx-synctex.lua, inside
>>> local function findlocation(filename,page,xpos,ypos,tolerance)
>>> there is the following code:
>>> for s=1,tolerance,max(tolerance//10,1) do
>>> locate( s, 0) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> locate(-s, 0) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> locate( s, s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> locate( s,-s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> locate(-s, s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> locate(-s,-s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>>> end

>>> Is the omission of the
>>> locate(0, s) ...
>>> and
>>> locate(0, -s) ...
>>> cases intentional, or is that an oversight?

>>> If intentional, can someone explain the rationale to me?

>> it's too long ago to remember the reason ... did you test with and without?

> I did not.  Yet.

> But on your suggestion, I will give it a try and get back to you.

I modified mtx-synctex.lua as follows:
% diff /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtx-synctex.lua
mtx-synctex-jd.lua
279a280
>                 -- JD added (0, +/-s) cases for testing
282a284,285
>                     locate( 0, s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end
>                     locate( 0,-s) if fi ~= 0 then tl = s ; goto done end

and then wrote the following quick and dirty shell script to create log
files for comparison:

#! /bin/zsh

# File:             compare-my-synctex-version