On 12/9/2023 4:33 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2023, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

\starttext

\startlines
\type{\frac{1}{3}}: \m{\frac{1}{3}}
\type{\xfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\xfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\xxfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\xxfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\tfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\tfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\sfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\sfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\frac{1}{3}}: \m{\frac{1}{3}}
\type{\dfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\dfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\cfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\cfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\vfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\vfrac{1}{3}}
\type{\hfrac{1}{3}}: \m{\hfrac{1}{3}}
\stoplines

\stoptext

Or, for inline math, $\sqrt{1/3}$.
radicals are somewhat special to deal with:

- multidimensional delimiter
- vertical spacing inside
- horizontal spacing oustside
- anchoring degrees
- left and right radicals
- more consistent rules (char based)
- size dependent additional spacing (avoid clash)
- normalize size across formula
- lack of granularity in variants sizes

by now we have dealt with all of that (some not in the current release), think of additional control in the engine, compensation for insufficient opentype math features, companion fonts with more sizes

there will always be suboptimal cases but the average is ok (we put radical - character kerning on hold because it is a lot of definitions) and we don't want to add hard to fight heuristics

so to inline: in most cases the solution that Adirya suggests will work out okay with respect toline spacing

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /