Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
Taco,

I tried your suggestion, but I'm not sure I'm doing it the right way. I took the definition of \initialize... like so:

\def\initializegreekfont%
{\getvariable{Greek}{font}}
\appendtoks \initializegreekfont \to \everystarttext % I guess I will need a similar procedure for %

That is not what I meant. What (I think) you want is more like this:

 \def\initializegreekfont%
  {\starttypescript[Greek]
   \definetypeface [My\getvariable{Greek}{font}] [rm] [serif]
    [\getvariable{Greek}{font}] [default] [encoding=agr]
   \stoptypescript
   \startsetups[enablegreek]
    \catcode`~=\other
    \catcode`|=\other
    \catcode`'=\other
    \language[greek]
    \switchtobodyfont[My\getvariable{Greek}{font}]
    \stopsetups }
 \appendtoks \initializegreekfont \to \everystarttext

In this way, you postpone all stuff that depends on the user-supplied
variables until the occurance of \starttext. I hope you can understand
me better now>

Cheers, Taco