Hello,

I am currently writing my paper for last year's BachoTeX proceedings.
I am using tugboat.mkxl module to design the layout.

In bachotex proceedings, the author's data and abstract are on a single column and the article is usually typeset on two columns.
Comments in tugboat.mkxl states:

%D We have several column mechanisms and they all serve a different purpose. Here we %D use pagecolumns. They support much of what we can do in single columns, but of %D course there are exceptions. Floats can go into columns of aremoved to the top or %D bottom when there is no room. We don't span mid column. Notes can go in columns %D or at the end. We can start with a single column (for titles and such).

I can't figure out which part of the file should be used/adapted to start with a single column. What I did is to put datas and abstract in a frame and use \placefigure. As stated in pagecolumns manual, everything is put on the top of next page. (BTW, there is a typo: «of aremoved»)

I don't know, whether this MWE helps is relevant, but just in case, here is what I did:

* copy tugboat.mkxl to a new file p-bachotex.mkxl
* changed p-bachotex.mkxl like this:

\startsetups bachotex:naglowek:columns
    \defineframedtext [Dane]
    \setupframedtext
        [Dane]
        [width=18cm ,
         align=normal,
         frame=no]
    \definenarrower
        [Streszczenia]
        [2*middle]

    \startplacefigure [location={here,none}]
        {\startDane
            {\tfa\getvariable{tugboat}{author}}\par
            \getvariable{tugboat}{address}\par
            {\tt\getvariable{tugboat}{email}}\par

            \startStreszczenia
                \doifelsebufferempty {abstract} {
                    % no abstract
                } {
                    \blank[line]

                    \enforced\let\\\endgraf
                    \setups[tugboat:abstract:setup]
                    \startAbstracts[title={Abstract}]
                    \stopAbstracts
                }
            \stopStreszczenia
        \stopDane}
    \stopplacefigure
\stopsetups

\startsetups tugboat:article:start

  \starttext

    \setups{tugboat:columns:presets}

    \setups{tugboat:banner:setup:\getvariable{tugboat}{type}}

    \setupheadertexts
        [\setups{tugboat:banner:text:article}]
        [pagenumber]

    \setuppagenumber
        [number=\getvariable{tugboat}{page}]

    \startmode[columns]
        \startpagecolumns
    \stopmode

    \setups[tugboat:introduction:article]
    \doifmodeelse{columns}{
        \setups{bachotex:naglowek:columns}
    } {
        \setups{bachotex:naglowek:nocolumns}
    }

\stopsetups

My article begins so:

\enablemode [columns]
\usemodule [bachotex]

% skipped tugboat variables for this MWE

\StartAbstract
  \input tufte
\StopAbstract
\StartArticle