Joel via ntg-context schrieb am 20.05.2024 um 03:30:
I'm using mostly default ConTeXt settings, but an editor has warned I should avoid using hyphenation at the end of lines--at least for my particular audience.

I've found manual text that says how to disable specific words from being hyphenated.

Is there a whole-document switch to disable it?

You can disable hyphenation with \setupalign[nothyphenated] but this setting alone isn't enough because now text tends to stick into the right margin. To get better result you have to combine it with other option like "tolerant" or "verytolerant".

The example below show also how you can use font enpansion in combination with a lesser tolerance value to align the text on both margins with result in smaller interword spacer than a larger tolerance value. You can combine this with font protrusion to move punctuation marks slightly into the margin area to have a better alignment of the text alone.

%%%% begin example
\setupwhitespace[big]

\showframe[text][text]

\definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality,protrusion=quality]

\starttext

\type{alignment: default}

\samplefile{lorem}

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated,flushleft}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated,flushleft]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated,verytolerant}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated,verytolerant]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated,tolerant,hz}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated,tolerant,hz]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated,verytolerant,hanging}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated,verytolerant,hanging]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\page

\type{alignment: nothyphenated,tolerant,hz,hanging}

\start \setupalign[nothyphenated,tolerant,hz,hanging]
\samplefile{lorem}
\stop

\stoptext
%%%% end example