Gerben Wierda wrote:

Correction: I goofed up; after correcting the file, I get exactly
what I expected. AFAICS, index generation now works flawlessly with
newtexexec! Great, wonderful, kudos to you!

Um, I just noticed. "newtexexec"? Has the command name changed? Please say
no. Because a command name change would mean that I have to redistribute
the binaries (where the command lives) and not just the context trees in
texmf.

no, for the moment stick to texexec

here, when i set TEXMFSTART_MODE=experimental I get newtexexec automatically; the idea is that the stub (sh sript) is as follows:

=== texexec =====

#!/bin/sh
texmfstart texexec $@

in that case texmfstart will locate the right script and do what is needed; no more hassle for distributers; basically only texmfstart needs to be copied to the bin path (texmfstart.rb -> texmfstart) plus some stubs be made (i made that mechanism because of the occasional changes in the tree locations)

once newtexexec becomes texexec (the perl script will be replaced) i'll come back to it, so for the moment don't worry