Hi Thomas,

Many many thanks! Danke schön! Yes that was the point: "inmargin"...
Finally the simplest way of achieving my desired result seems to be:

\showframe
\starttext
\setupitemize[stopper=),margin=2.5em]
\startitemize[n,inmargin]
\dorecurse{12}{\item This is question number \recurselevel.}
\stopitemize
\stoptext

where "margin=2.5em" is obtained heuristically (for three digits items
for instance one has to say "margin=3em"). Maybe there is an elegant
method for finding automatically the amount of "margin" depending on
the maximum number of items, but I am not asking that much...

Best regards: OK