Hans van der Meer wrote:

I use (as root: sudo) the following shell script to install the latest pdfetex. For me it works. It might be of use to you.

#!/bin/sh
echo "Installing Pdftex..."
umask 022
unzip pdftex-1.30.4.zip
cd pdftex-1.30.4
sh ./Build
cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdftex `which pdftex`
cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdftex.pool `kpsewhich pdftex.pool`

no need for pdftex, is kind of obsolete, and afaik pdfetex is always the default

cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdfetex `which pdfetex`

which -> kpsewhich

cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdfetex.pool `kpsewhich pdfetex.pool`
chown -R root:wheel /usr/local/teTeX

what is this wheel thing?

chmod -R u+w /usr/local/teTeX
chmod -R a+r /usr/local/teTeX

why not make that place independent as well?

chmod -R u+w `which pdfetex` `which pdfetex.pool`

umask 027
cd ..
echo "Installing Pdftex done."
exit