On 12/3/05, Taco Hoekwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps this is a stupid question, but do we need more than some
> > definitions in the Unicode encoding vectors and typescripts for some
> > fonts?
> > Is (T)IPA support about more than using some phonetic chars?
> > Please enlighten me.
>
> AFAICT, there are:
>
>    - 2 new font encodings needed (T3 and T3S), with associated
>      named characters
>    - a set of font definitions
>    - unicode tables (for utf input) need extension
>    - there are some macros in IPA for special input
>
> That's about it for the basic TIPA font support, I guess.
>
> For proper linguistic work, you need a large set of extra macros,
> but those are not in the LaTeX tipa.sty either.
>
> Greetings, Taco

I've done some work with tipa under LaTeX as a beginning linguistics
student, though I didn't get into the guts at the time.

This threaed gets me thinking: how far away from "proper" is the tipa
package under LaTeX? How much work is a "proper" implementation likely
to be?

I'm in some ways a beginner "under the hood", but I'm pretty motivated
to get proper support in place.

Taco, your list above includes some stuff I'm unfamiliar with (T3
encoding, macros for IPA input), so I don't know how extensive the
work is likely to be. Which would be easier: scrap and re-write or
adapt?

--
Jason Knight
Systems-Analyst-at-large