Tobias Burnus wrote:

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:

chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it

We probably should.

question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?

There exists a one-to-one correspondence between GBK and Unicode [1], for Big5 there are 7 characters which cannot be mapped one-to-one (see comment at top of [2]); thee of which appear twice in Big5 but only once in Unicode, two are not in unicode and there are two mapping problems.
In practive one can thus say: Both GBK and Big5 can be mapped to Unicode.

so, if we can make things utf deep down and remap gbk and big 5 to utf, we can do with one set of fonts, metrics etc

i got chinese working in utf now, but need an enco table for teh special cases (see enco-chi); when someone made me that table, i can upload an alpha