Hans van der Meer wrote:

Forcing the typesetting to run further the output contains the rest of the source of macro \startpdffontresource[ec] .
I.e. the output then shows (the \s has disappeared):

tartpdffontresource[ec]
/CIDInit /ProcSet findresource begin
--------- and goes on until (the last part of the macro "end end \stoppdffontresource" not appearing)
... CMapName currentdict /CMap defineresource pop

Hereafter typesetting is resumed.

>>>Introducing something that puts another line of text at the top of the page results in normal typesetting.<<<

Further experiment
replacing "\startJava" by "\starttextbackground[somecolor]" leads to the same error.

i ran into that as well, a solution is (cont-new.tex):

\let\normalstartreadingfile\startreadingfile
\let\normalstopreadingfile \stopreadingfile

\def\startreadingfile
 {\normalstartreadingfile
  \pushendofline
  \restoreendofline}

\def\stopreadingfile
 {\popendofline
   \normalstopreadingfile}

but i did patch something more fundamental (i forgot what/where, i leave that for taco to uncover when i update)