<--- On Jan 13, Aditya Mahajan wrote --->

<--- On Jan 13, Hans Hagen wrote --->

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

No, I mean the complicated math is much harder in context. Consider

\begin{align}
 a &= b \\
 c &= d \notag \\
   &= f \notag \\
   &= g
\end{align}

which will typeset as

 a = b        (1)
 c = d
   = f
   = g        (2)

\begin{subequations}
\begin{align}
 a &= b \\
 c &= d
\end{align}
\end{subequations}

Compare this from how to do this in context (see the wiki). You have to *manually* set the number of the subequation. Actually, for equation numbering and refering, the context way is rather limited. Consider something like an align environment

a &= b\\
c &= d\\
e &= f

Suppose, I want to refer to the second equation. In latex, I can simply add \label{eq:2} and the end of c&= d and then \ref{eq:2}. For context, the reference label goes at the top, with \placeformula[eqs]. But I am not sure, how to give individual labels to each equations.

this 'loose label' is one of the ugliest concept i can think of -)

If you come up with any other way, I will be glad to use it. Frankly, I do not think that the latex syntax is the best, but plain tex looks too indimidating and context does not have anything yet.

btw, defaulting to numbers and then using \notag is messy; i prefer readable code, even if it takes more bytes; inventing a formula takes more time than keying it in. Also, more structure, means more hooks for configurability

Fine by me. Your method is perfectly acceptable.

much if this 'complicated' math is not that complicated to support,see attached file

Wonderful. I did not know that something like this can be done so easily in context.

i'm willing to implement anything reasonable but since i hardly use such math i only act on 'i want to achieve this' kind of specs (i have no time to read tons of tex documents)

Here are features that I would want context math to have. I do not care about the input syntax (whether it is same as latex or not) as long as the features are there.

[snipped]

One more request. Allow these align, gather environments to break across a page. Allow the user some kind of customization, whether the break can occur at a particular location or not.

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008