On Jan 19, 2006, at 18:00, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

(2) Second question. Is there a mechanism whereby one can force the float to at least the next page when there is no room for it below the current point on the page?

There is:

  \startpostponing
    <stuff with postponed floats>
  \stoppostponing

I believe it is mentioned in a manual somewhere, but don't recall
off-hand which one. However, I'm not confident that that mechanism
does precisey what you want, and it is definately not automatic.

It seems to do what I wanted. Putting small figures in the margin on the next page from where the call is made.

I seem to remember some mentioning of remaining space on the page in "ConTeXt-fashion" but cannot find it again.
Or can I just rely on TeX's \pagetotal? I tried something as:
        \scratchdimen=\textheight
        \advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
        \ifdim\scratchdimen<#1\relax .......

Is it an option to enrich \startpostponing to \startpostponing [need=distance]? ( reprogramming \setvalue{\e!start\v!postponing} is it? asks a bit too much of my inner-ConTeXt skills)

I tried something on the following lines, but got stuck with a remaining \stoppostponing when there appears to enough space.
Defining \stoppostponing to \empty seems not to work.
        \def\startpostponingwhen[#1]{%
        \scratchdimen=\textheight
        \advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
        \ifdim\scratchdimen<#1\relax
                \let\dostoppostponingwhen=\stoppostponing
                \expandafter\startpostponing
        \fi}

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer