Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't want to tell TeX about hyphenation exceptions in the text, only
> once for all in an environment file. How can I do this with words like
> "DNA-Fragmente" or "$\beta$-Verknüpfung" ?

Write: $\beta$||Verknüpfung instead. The two bars break the single
word in two seperate ones, and both are hyphenated normally ($\beta$
will not hyphenate of course, but you get the idea, I hope). A few
things can be inbetween the ||'s, for words like

   |(|multi|)|valued

but normally you use just ||. This even makes sure that the compound
hyphen is slightly longer then the auto-inserted one, so that it is
still possible to distinguish that it is a compound word if hyphenation
happens right at the ||.

Cheers, Taco