On 2/20/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > But I still get no figures at all under MikTeX and "undefined" labels
> > with the standalone.
> >
> that normally means that no tex subruns take place (or wrong ones)
>
> (maybe the system command is not executed, in the log you can see what
> write 18 does)
>
> you can try (on a mp file):
>
> texexec --mptex somefile.mp
>
> and see what is reported

I traced the problem of getting annoying "\loadfontfilesoncetrue
undefined" messages down to the line 2936 in texexec.pl, sub RunMPX:
   if ( ( $Format eq '' ) || ( $Format =~ /^cont.*/io ) ) {
      RunConTeXtFile( $MpTmp, "tex" );
   } else {
      RunSomeTeXFile( $MpTmp, "tex" );
   }

The first subroutine (RunConTeXtFile) is executed (as it should be),
but it calls TeX instead of "ConTeXt" (format) and I have no idea how
to change this behaviour. That's why all ConTeXt commands are
undefined.

The same is true for tex.rb, line 1442:
   if context then
      ok = RunConTeXtFile(mptex)
   else
      ok = RunSomeTeXFile(mptex)
   end

It goes into the first part of the if sentence, but it nevertheless
runs (plain) tex. Except that in this time it was far from evident for
me where this RunConTeXtFile came from (I didn't see the definition
anywhere except if it calls Perl at that place).

On 2/20/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Is there any way to explore why the crash would happen? I get "An
> > unhandled win32 exception occured in pdfetex.exe [2384]", 3164, 812,
> > 1752, 2776, ...
>
> A (likely) candidate is an (software-ignored) attempt to write to
> a file that is still in use by another application. It is quite
> possible that this is the result of an I/O timing error that is in
> itself caused by a misconfigured win32 install (harddisks in ms-dos
> compatility mode, for example, or soundcard that share interrupts
> with the harddisk controller.

Might be. I also heard from some latex people that they had problems
with pdflatex on some disks. It happened to me on two different
computers on two different distros (MikTeX, standalone). Some crashing
went away when I removed \setupoutput[pdf] from cont-sys.tex (but I'm
stil confused since there are two cont-sys files, one .rme and one
.ori. Which one should be used? They are identical, but why would one
want to have the same file at two places?)

Mojca