On Mar 6, 2006, at 10:17 PM, frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am a (somewhat) long time pdflatex user and i am trying to
> convert to
> ConTeXt.

That's good, welcome to the ConTeXt community. I'm sure you'll like
it around here...

I'll try and answer some of your questions:

> shell_escape = t
>
> if it isn't already.
>
> --\stopquote----------------------------------------------------
>
> in the default openbsd package this line says:
>
> shell_escape = f
>
> what is the difference?  and what is it for anyway?
> some external execution of the legends are true? :)

Among other things, ConTeXt has wonderful integration for an
implementation of Metapost called Metafun. If you set shell escape to
"t," ConTeXt will be able to compile Metafun code that is included in
your documents. this is a security issue when you're on a system with
many users; if you;re running it on your own personal computer, it is
safe to set this to true.

> kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmr12
> ! I can't find file `ec-lmr12'.
> <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmr12

This is the old Latin-Modern bug that is a recurring event on this
list. Download the file cont-lmt.zip from the pragma website, unzip
it in your texmf-tree, run texhash, and this should solve your
problems on this front.

HTH, you'll certainly receive more answers.

Thomas