On 4/8/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> (I wonder is we still need to preload regimes, maybe the ones mostly
> used ... which ones)

If I knew how to do that, I would implement it in the following way:

Somewhere it would be defined where a specific regime is located
    \defineregimefile[cp1250][regi-cp1250]
    \defineregimefile[isoir111][regi-cyp]

Then you don't need to read all those files / preload all those
regimes (except for the really common ones). So if someone says
    \enableregime[windows-1250]
then ConTeXt knows that it is a synonym for cp1250, that cp1250 is
located in regi-cp1250.tex and finally loads the appropriate file and
enables the regime.

I don't know what exactly "preloading" means (are the definitions
already included in format or are the files read in at runtime?) I
doubt that it would save any resources that way, but in case it would,
the regimes might be preloaded depending on mainlanguage. (If someone
typesets Slovenian texts, it would preloa utf, cp1250 and latin2, if
someone typesets russian, you would preload cyrilic regimes, ...)

Otherwise I would say: if the regimes eat a lot of memory, don't
preload the new ones yet (except cp1250) until someone requests them.

Mojca