Hans Hagen wrote:

> what does booktab do then

Have a look at
http://www.idyll.org:8081/JohSite/context/table1.jpg/view

I write there:

> A table formated with the package 'booktabs' in LaTeX. Notice the heavier,
> continuous '\toprule' and '\bottomrule' as well as the lighter and
> interrupted lines seperating table-header and table body. Notice as well,
> that the table rules ar flush on the left and right with the table
> entries.

I had emulated the continuous top- and bottomrule (while using 'distance'
for the others) with a frame around the whole thing, but that prevents the
table from being splitable ...

I have not come across any ConTeXt solution yet making the rules on the left
and right edge of the table flush with the Text.

Joh