[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This version runs the ruby scripts directly, rather than the suggested
> form, e.g., "texfmstart pstopdf.rb file.ps".  I have no idea if that
> is intended to work -- it did in my very simple tests .  I'm not sure
> the RUBYLIB line is needed.

when you use texmfstart to launch a script, no rubylib is needed because
libraries are loaded relative to the script; texmfstart itself (now) ships with
the libraries that it needs embedded); when using the direct call (ruby
<path>/texexec as from your script) should work equally well

the reason why i made texmfstart are:

- we don't need stubs for all scripts, which is esp handy when scripts bare
names that may conflict with other things in ones path

- texmfstart internally uses kpsewhich to locate the script (unless it is
configured to use its internal kpse library and/or talks to kpse server); it
tries hard to cache and carry over results which (depending on the machine and
trees uses - large trees slow down kpsewhich) means that nested runs are
faster, e.g. when texmfstart is used to start texexec, a nested texexec run
starts up faster)

- another reason why i made texmfstart is that it makes me less dependent of
changes in tds (the change from /context/scripts/ruby to scripts/context/ruby
in combination with different kpsewhich fmt flags gave me so much trouble
(read: i had to use different stubs depending on what version of tes and
kpsewhich were used and they were not always in sync) that i decided that a
consistent 'texmfstart ...' stub was safest for me

- in the meantime texmfstart does a few more things, like tree initialixation
and kpse expansion, think of:

texmfstart xsltproc kpse:a.xsl --output=b.xml c.xml

which will expand kpse: to the path as reported by kpsehwich.

(here i use a mix: when running e.g. from other scripts or from editors i
alwayss use "texmfstart scriptname" but when i run in the console i just use
scriptname because windows can associate the .rb suffix with ruby (on unix one
has to remove the suffix)

it's all a matter of what suits best