On Fri, 19 May 2006 15:52:56 +0200, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> nico wrote:
>> Yes, replacing background by a framedtext works fine. In fact I used
>> that
>> (and the 300 pages book compiled fine :-) but I changed to background to
>> allow the code portions to split in several pages (when put in normal
>> text
>> flow). But if you say that background should be avoided in floats i'll
>> use
>> the framed typing definition for floats (that cannot split anyway).
>>
> i adapted the backgrounds to recognize floats, i'll sen dyou the file

Ok, thanks, i'll try it.

>> BTW, is there other known unsafe combinations to avoid?
>>
> well, \starttextbackground is the more modern way to go (only one level
> needed since one can hook in mp code)

I tried this too, but it became a real nightmare. It compiles ok, but is
so slow: there were hundred of MP files, and the result was ugly (strange
offsets, strange framed lines, strange color...). I deduced that I
certainly did something wrong, but had no time to investigate in this
area. And the compilation time is certainly the main drawback for me.

Regards,
BG