On Tuesday 23 May 2006 06:22, Richard Gabriel wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> after an upgrade I noticed thar the index sorting works even worse than
> before (tested on Czech, Chinese and Japanese, but probably related to
> non-ASCII characters in common).
>
> With TeXExec 5.4.3, all words beginning with national (accented) characters
> were put into a separate ("symbols") group and placed before "A". This was
> not good but more or less acceptable. With TeXExec 6.2.0, words beginning
> with accented characters are placed under certain unaccented letter. My
> colleague found out that these words are sorted according the first
> unaccented letter. This is unacceptable and unusable.
>
> We do a "work-around" so we try to avoid indexing words beginning with
> accented charaters. But it's impossible in many cases. I'd like to ask you
> to improve the index sorting. Could I help or contribute in some way?
>
> Attached is a testing file, which creates 2 indexes from various Czech
> words (covering the Czech alphabet). The index should be sorted exactly
> that way as the terms are written in the file.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Try Xindy. It has facilities for sorting according to arbitrary
alphabetic orders including Czech. It fits in the workflow much
as does makeindex, but perhaps it could be adapted to a Context
runstream.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: