Hi Jean,

Your example works here...
I'm not a font guru but it is maybe more interesting for you to use
type1 fonts. Depending on which linux distro you use, you have to tell
tetex to use type1. On my debian testing box, I have uncommented "Map
lm.map" in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10tetex-base.cfg and sudo update-updmap
(as I remember...).

I'm not sure this will solve your problem but you can try anyway since
IMHO, it's better to have type1 fonts instead of bitmap...

Moreover, if you want correct language settings for french, you should
better write:

\setupoutput[pdf]
\useencoding[ffr]
\mainlanguage[fr]