On 6/1/06, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
> > Thanks, that was a very interesting read! Personally, if it weren't
> > for the really bad tex installation, I would favor gentoo over most
> > other linux distros I have tried (the new SUSE 10.1 is a disaster,
> >
> hm, i could install 10.1 ok here (but i never take tex's from linux
> distributions; one can always download tex live, so i actually wonder
> why there are derived tex distributions in linxu anyway)

Many packages need TeX for their documentation.  For that you want a
compact, stable, very robust TeX package with support for many
languages.  Red Hat uses teTeX (with
Japanese support, e.g., ptex added).   Distros will want all the
libraries dynamically linked to save space and so that security
updates to thinks like libpng and libtiff don't require new TeX
binaries.  Distros will want to use the Type1 fonts from the system
for space and because they have added glyphs for more languages.

--
George N. White III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia