On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Alan Bowen wrote:

>>> it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or
>>> loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)
>>>
>>> [patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in
>>> fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Thanks, Hans. I tried
>>      texexec --make --all
>> but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
>>      (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-
>> agr.pat
>>      ! Nonletter.
>>      \rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>>      \or
>>          \or
>>      \or     \or
>>                                                        \or \or \or \or
>> \or \...
>>      l.37 α2Ϊ
>>                1
>>      ?
>>
>> Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?
>>
> is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it
> reported?
>
> in the worst case you can say:
>
> ctxtools --pat
>
> and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns
>
> Hans

Hans—

There is a natural.tcx in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
but this is not mentioned in cont-en.log. It is loaded when I compile
a file:
        This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(format=cont-en 2006.6.1)  1 JUN 2006 07:58
        entering extended mode
        (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/natural.tcx)

        **&cont-en 2005-12-03_Lautner.tex
        (./2005-12-03_Lautner.tex

        ConTeXt  ver: 2006.05.28 13:28  fmt: 2006.6.1  int: english  mes:
english

Where does ctxtools --pat generate the files?

Alan