On Jun 24, 2006, at 16:56, Thomas Moore wrote:

> 2.  I would like the math environment to be as close to the LaTeX AMS
> environment as possible. I have figured out how to download the t-
> amsl module and can successfully invoke it as long as the t-amsl.tex
> file is in the same folder as my document files. But how do I install
> it permanently so that I can invoke it in all my documents? I was
> unable to find instructions in the ConTexT garden for this, and what
> I could find on the archives was not helpful (something about
> "running mktexlsr" and/or "texhash" that I have don't know how to do
> in OS X, and would be afraid to do without instructions anyway for
> fear of screwing up my TeX distribution).
>
> Thanks for any help, and sorry if the questions are stupid.  Tom Moore

Depending on how you installed TeX, t-amsl.tex is there. If you
installed with the TeX i-Package:

$ kpsewhich t-amsl.tex
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/context/maths/t-amsl.tex

But it is the one from 1.5 years ago in the old ConTeXt that comes with
the (discontinued) teTeX texmf tree. If you also installed the ConTeXt
updater (which is pretty up-to-date), the math stuff is not in there
(Hans, why not?) so you get a newer ConTeXt with an older t-amsl.tex
and I have no idea if that works.

If you have a (more recent) t-amsl.tex file and you are using the TeX
i-Package, you can install th efile as
~/Library/texmf/tex/context/t-amsl.tex and it will be found. No
mktexlsr or texhash is needed for that particular tree.

If someone tells me what to include in the ConTeXt updater for this
math stuff and where to get it, I can make life easy for you.

If you installed with fink or in some other way, I have no idea how to
help you.