On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> This process works in a similar fashion for all programs like
> pdftex, dvipdfmx, dvips, and xdvi, but texfont only creates a
> map file for pdftex. Unf, the pdftex map file cannot be used by
> dvips, so for dvips you have to create your own (like you did).
>
> When you create a map file for dvips for a texfont-installed
> font family, it needs to have those *-raw-* entries that will
> map the fonts to the real postscript font files on your harddisk,
> and those were missing from your bgj.map.
>
> Using the attached map file fragment, I can create a postscript file
> that has fi ligatures of your example in texnansi encoding using
> dvips. I have no xdvi here to try it, but that should work as well.

Thanks a lot, with that it works now (with the texnansi encoding)! These
facts should be mentioned in the docs.

I also have created another map file ec-bgj.map with the entries

ec-raw-bgjb  ElegantGaramondBT-Bold   "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc
<bgjb.pfb
ec-raw-bgjr  ElegantGaramondBT-Roman  "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc
<bgjr.pfb
ec-raw-bgjri ElegantGaramondBT-Italic "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <lm-ec.enc
<bgjri.pfb

With that and the ec encoding the document is shown correctly with xdvi.
dvips seems to work correctly as well:

This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.08.11:1041' -> schrift.ps
<tex.pro><lm-ec.enc><texps.pro>. <bgjb.pfb><bgjri.pfb><bgjr.pfb>[1]

But gv gives an error when I try to view the ps file:

Error: /undefined in ECEncoding
Operand stack:
    Fa   139   --nostringval--   29   13   --nostringval--   28   38   101
--nostringval--   3   91.3242   --nostringval--   91.3242   0
Execution stack:
    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
%oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1051/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:73/200(L)--
--dict:80/300(L)--   --dict:10/12(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
GPL Ghostscript 8.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

My printer does not print it either. Maybe the reason is that I use
lm-ec.enc, but ECEncoding is defined in EC.enc which is slightly
different.

> The second problem:
>
> texfont simply does not 'do' EC correctly (at least not on my machine).
> There are simply no fi ligatures, not in pdftex either. I will
> investigate this further.

On my machine the font works without problems with pdftex (texexec --pdf)
and the ec encoding, ligatures and umlauts are okay.

Andreas