Disappointingly, over here it doesn't work with two backslashes, only
with one. Possibly because there are two texmf.cnf (minimal linux
distro) which give different answers:

./texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, which claims
% A place for local additions to a "standard" texmf tree.
% This tree is not used for local configuration maintained by
% texconfig, it uses TEXMFCONFIG below.
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local

and
./texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf, which claims
TEXMFMAIN     = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL    = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local
TEXMFFONTS    = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-fonts

Regards, Johan

2006/9/17, Sanjoy Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > path = run("--expand-path=\\\$#{varname}") rescue ''

> > path = run("--expand-path=\$#{varname}") rescue ''
>
> I also ran into this (a few weeks ago on the list) and the patch I
> sent Hans after testing it on my Ubuntu Linux laptop was to use two
> backslashes:
>
>   run("--expand-path=\\$#{varname}")
>
> so that Unix sees the command as, for example,
>
>   kpsewhich --expand-path=\$TEXMFLOCAL
>
> which prevents the shell from expanding TEXMFLOCAL as a shell or
> environment variable, leaving it for kpse to find it in texmf.cnf.
> Interesting that \$ also works.  I guess the \ gets passed unchanged,
> so the $ still gets procted from the shell.
>
> By the way, the rescue '' doesn't do anything, since a failed run of
> kpsewhich doesn't throw an exception.  I think I have a patch for
> that.
>
> Hans, should I resend those patches?
>
> -Sanjoy
>
> `Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
>          --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm
m +46735521477  Sweden
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the
will to find out, which is the exact opposite"
- Bertrand Russell