Hans Hagen wrote:
> demanding guy ...  a static is just an mp graphic and mp does not know
> a thing about \macros

Thanks, I understand now; and sorry, I hadn't meant it as a feature
request!  I was trying only to learn the differences between all the
ways of doing *TeX labels in figures, and was trying experiments.  I
should have added that the difference was probably from a confusion on
my part (my conceptual model derailed when sometxt failed but textext
worked).

> you can try the bet ai just uploaded

Thanks!  I'm using the new beta (2006.09.25) to test sometxt in
staticMPfigure but got derailed at this staticMPgraphic:

============= 4.tex =====================================
\starttext
\startstaticMPfigure{fig}
  draw fullcircle scaled 1cm xscaled 2;
\stopstaticMPfigure

\usestaticMPfigure[fig]

xyz

The texexec run says "figure 4-fig.pdf can not be found" and 4.pdf shows
a dummy figure in place of the figure.  4-fig.mp contains just

;

draw fullcircle scaled 1cm xscaled 2;

which looks a lot simpler than it did in previous versions.  4.log says
that write18 ran

   texmfstart --ifchanged=4-fig.mp texexec --mpstatic 4-fig.mp

I ran it by hand omitting the --ifchanged:

  $ texmfstart texexec --mpstatic 4-fig.mp
  /home/sanjoy/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb:101:in `mpstatic'TeXExec |
option 'randomseed' is set to '1131'
  TeXExec | option 'filename' is set to '4-fig.mp'
  TeXExec | option 'mainlanguage' is set to 'standard'
  TeXExec | option 'bodyfont' is set to 'standard'
  TeXExec | option 'language' is set to 'standard'
  TeXExec | option 'engine' is set to 'standard'
  TeXExec | option 'distribution' is set to 'web2c'
  TeXExec | option 'texformats' is set to 'ennlmptopdf'
  TeXExec | option 'mpsformats' is set to 'metafun'
  TeXExec | option 'progname' is set to 'context'
  TeXExec | option 'interface' is set to 'standard'
  TeXExec | option 'runs' is set to '8'
  TeXExec | option 'backend' is set to 'standard'
  : undefined method `processmpstatic' for #<TEX:0xb7bbe91c> (NoMethodError)
          from /home/sanjoy/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb:749

I guess because there's no processmpstatic procedure, whereas texexec.rb
calls job.processmpstatic.  But the analogous procedure,
processmpgraphic, is a bit daunting so I haven't tried to write
processmpstatic.

-Sanjoy

`A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
   -- Bertrand de Jouvenal