On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>

>> add
>>
>> \showskips
>>
>> to your source (better a small one). I just tested a bit (between my
>> current mp examples) and 'inbetween={\blank[2*big]}' and
>> 'after={\blank[2*big]}' should do the job. If you dare, ask Hans about
>> the meaning of 'before' ;)
>>

>> Greetings, Peter
>>

> Thanks Peter,
>
> that was very helpful. I still had to tweak a bit, but by combining
> "inbetween" and "after," I got an acceptable result. So the mystery
> thickens: what is before? :-)

\textrule[top] does

before
----------- (rule)
inbetween

\textrule[bottom] does

inbetween
----------
after

\textrule with no argumet is equal to \textrule[bottom]

There is a \domiddletextrule that does

inbetween
------------
inbetween

but this is not interfaced with \textrule. It only becomes active
inside a \starttextrule.

\starttextrule{whatever}
\input knuth
\textrule
\input knuth
\stoptextrule

To use this, you can define your own rule as

\def\midtextrule{\dosinglegroupempty\domiddletextrule}

\setuptextrules[inbetween={\blank[big]}]

And midtextrule will use inbetween on both side.

Hans, does it make sense to add this to core-rul?

\def\complextextrule[#1]%
   {\processaction
      [#1]
      [  \v!top=>\let\next\dotoptextrule,
         \v!bottom=>\let\next\dobottomtextrule,
         middle=>\let\next\domiddletextrule, %<------- Added
       \s!default=>\let\next\dobottomtextrule,
       \s!unknown=>\let\next\dobottomtextrule]%
    \dosinglegroupempty\next}

Aditya