On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:53:37 +0100, Pablo Rodríguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> nico wrote:

>> Since this thread is also talking about some tools, I'll complete the
>> list
>> with dbcontext (http://dblatex.sf.net) on which I contribute, that
>> translates DocBook to ConTeXt via XSL stylesheets. I guess that many
>> aspects could be directly handled by context.
>
> Thanks for your answer. I know that XML can be converted to
> TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt using XSL, but my XML is TEI (http://www.tei-c.org/)
> and not DocBook. If I would use XSL transformation, I guess it would be
> easier (at least for me) to adapt the already existing TEI-XML->LaTeX
> XSL files and adapt them to ConTeXt. I wonder (out of ignorance) whether
> this would be a better way than parsing the XML directly with ConTeXt.

I have no experience with handling XML directly with context, but I guess
it's the most elegant way of processing, since it relies upon only one
tool (no XSLT processor, no stylesheet, no glue to pass the output to
texexec), there is no intermediate step, and the code should be smaller.

But for me the drawback is that you need a good perception about how
context/tex works (things about grouping, how macros expand and other
funny things) and debugging might be harder. At least XSL gives an output
that you can tweak until something compiles and gives the expected output
:-) The other thing is that there are some specific processings that I
have no idea how it can be implemented with context.

This said, I know there are many people who happily process their XML docs
directly with context. Maybe they could also give their feedback.

Regards,
BG