On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:02:43 +0800
"Zhichu Chen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Zhichu Chen,

> Dear Texers,
>
> I am typesetting some traditional Chinese articles. They are
> typesetted in vertical, and the reading order is from right to left.
> This can be done by Hans' \startvertical . . . \stopvertical pair. But
> as shown in the attached file, there are some famous notes,
> descriptions and explanations to these articles. The traditional way,
> in Chinese, to typeset these notes is rather to insert them in some
> small fonts (say, half size of the \bodyfontsize) right below the word
> to be explained, than to use footnotes which is common in English.
>
> I've tried some ways, e.g., use \startcolumnsetspan . . .
> \stopcolumnsetspan to put the body text across the note text, but all
> failed.
>
> Can anyone give me some clue?

I dont't how the result you wanted looks exactlxy but I hope my
attached example file helps you.

To give you a better results give us a specification about the rules
how the explanations should be written.

Can you also take a look at the following pages if there is what you
want as result:

- http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/
- http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-ruby
- http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/ruby/
- http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ruby/

Wolfgang
\unprotect

\def\????zc{@@@@zc}

\def\sidetext
  {\dosingleempty\dosidetext}

\def\dosidetext[#1]#2#3%
  {\bgroup
   \setupsidetext[#1]
   \edef\sidetextsize{\switchtobodyfont[\the\dimexpr\@@@@zcscale\bodyfontsize\relax]}%
   \setbox0\vbox{\startvertical#2\stopvertical}
   \setbox1\vbox{\startvertical\sidetextsize\@@@@zcstyle#3\stopvertical}
   \dimen0\ht0\advance\dimen0-\dp0
   \hbox{\box0\rlap{\vbox\!!to\dimen0{\vss\box1\vss}}}
   \egroup}

\def\setupsidetext
  {\dosingleargument\getparameters[\????zc]}

\setupsidetext
  [\c!scale=.5,
   \c!style=]

\protect

\enableregime[utf]
\usemodule[chi-00]
\setupbodyfont[24pt]
%\showmakeup

\starttext
\startvertical
你好你好你好你好你好你好你好\sidetext{好}{好好}
你好你好你好你好你好你好你好\sidetext[scale=.8]{好}{好好}
你好你好你好\sidetext[style=\bf]{好}{好}你好你好
好你好你好你好你你好你好你好你你好你好你好你你好你好
\stopvertical