Hi Rolf,

Here I tested two situations and they work, though with a small adaptation:

I bought once the Lino-Type Palatino, which includes also oldstyle
figures in one of the fonts. This font-collection works correctly also
with Taco's definition

\def\varosfnumbers#1{{\Var[osf] #1}}

On the otherhand the LM-fonts did not reveal the required result, ending
with a message concerning a non loadable tfm ...
Yet it works with the following adaptation of Taco's macro:

\usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[modern,rm,12pt]

\def\varosfnumbers#1{{\os #1}}
\defineconversion[varosf][\varosfnumbers]

\starttext
\startitemize[varosf]
\item this
\item that