On 2/8/07, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 08:25:22PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > > It should work out ok if you change the map file line to either:
> > >
> > >    cmr12  LMRoman12-Regular   <lm-rep-cmrm.enc  <lmr12.pfb
> >
> > This didn't work.
> >
> > > or
> > >
> > >    cmr12     CMR12    <cmr12.pfb
> >
> > This worked. Now, things are quite all right, except that I am still
> > unhappy with the rendering in Acrobat. But at least the things seem to
> > be mostly solved with this one.
>
> Thanks for all the help, but one final question before I give up!
>
> IF I use pdflatex, this is the header of a PS file I get upon doing
> dvips:
>
> %%DocumentFonts: CMR17 CMR12 CMBX12 CMR10 CMMI12 CMEX10 CMSY8 CMMI8 CMR8
> %%+ MSBM10 CMR7 CMBX10
>
> However, for ConTeXt, the output I get is:
>
> %%DocumentFonts: LMRoman12-Regular CMR12 LMMathItalic9-Italic
> %%+ LMMathItalic12-Italic LMMathSymbols10-Italic

This is (should be) correct. With LaTeX you can get the same with
    \usepackage{lmodern}

> Now, is there any way to force the fonts to map on to the old CMR
> names?

There is (I guess that it might be enough to include the old map files
for cmr and to remove all \definefontsynonym [cmr12][lmr10]-like
definitions from type-*), but you don't want to do that!

LatinModern is considered standard today. It has far more glyphs than
cmr. OK, you cannot use them all with a single encoding anyway, but
you don't have to bother about anything either.

Support for LatinModern math has been added recently, so it might be
that there are some bugs, but if there are bugs, it means that they
have to be resolved before others have the same problems.

With direct conversion to PDF (so, without the --dvi switch), your
problems seem to disappear.

> That is because I feel it is because of the CMR/lmodern issue
> that pdflatex generated PDFs appear properly, while ConTeXt ones
> don't. What should the map file look like?

What do you get if you use \usepackage{lmodern} with LaTeX?

> Thanks for bearing with me. I want to try my best before giving up,
> failing which I will be forced to return to teTeX (with the old
> ConTeXt) and miss out on some new ConTeXt niceties, such as
> \startalign etc.

The bug has to be resolved, but why not converting your EPS graphics
into PDF and using pdfTeX (in pdf mode) instead? There should be an
"epstopdf" script present in the TeX distribution among other
"binaries".

Mojca