Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Thanks for your explanation! Do you know, how the LaTeX people
>> solved this problem? I've never had such surprises with LaTeX.

> interference with preceding material); i do (did) observe that latex
> has a different spacing model (and interfering penalties may be a
> reason why sometimes spacing gets messed up);

LaTeX is pretty good in keeping section heads together with
the following material, but the tradeoff is that sometimes it
inserts massive amounts of whitespace on a page, because a section
head and a subsection head and the following first two paragraph
lines all appear after an automatically inserted pagebreak.

IIRC, it also makes float placements harder to predict.

Best wishes,
Taco