> can also try to create the pd file by hand with "dvips -Ppdf test",
> that gave a correct output on my system.

Thanks, that works.  I guess -Ppdf tells it to use map files that find
the type1 fonts, so cmr in the metapost figures is replaced by the
lmodern .pfb.  Oh, that's not what happens: it instead finds the
cmr10.pfb and includes it correctly.  So the final document uses
lmodern for the page number (from the ConTeXt src file) and cmr10 for
the 'hello' from the metapost figure.

Though I'm a bit scared of -Ppdf from years ago when I think it caused
encoding problems.  A few characters didn't show up correctly in the
pdf file, but only when using non-cmr fonts.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)