Hi,

this is an interesting discussion. I admit, that I do not have the
ultimate knowledge. Nevertheless I doubt whether the A3 format has to
be considered portrait.

Consider A4 which is portrait because of the grain direction
(Laufrichtung) in the height. Otherwise A3 is two A4 and hence the
grain direction is in the shorthand. - Generally speaking the
graindirection is in the direction of the longer edge in all A-
foomats with even numbers, including A0. - Looking in this way at RA3
and SRA3 I would expect that the graindirection is also on the short
side. Therefore The definition shoud be width=305 and height=430 mm
and width=320 and height=450mm respectively.

So Luigi you learned determination of the grain direction in Epen,
please look this up in your two blocks!

Kind regards Willi, the bookbinder ;-)

On May 3, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Peter Rolf schrieb:
>> luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>>> In page-lay.tex
>>> \definepapersize [SRA3]  [\c!width=320mm,\c!height=450mm]
>>> maybe is wrong.
>>> It should be
>>> \definepapersize [SRA3]  [\c!width=450mm,\c!height=320mm]
>>>
> I have found both versions on the net, but as RA* and SRA* are only
> scaled versions of the A* papers (5% and 15% larger), I think the
> definition should match the one of A*.
>
> As A3 is portrait,
>    \definepapersize [A3]  [\c!width=297mm,\c!height=420mm]
> I would also expect RA and SRA to be portrait as well and not
> landscape,
> ConTeXt has
>   \definepapersize [RA3]  [\c!width=305mm,\c!height=430mm]
>   \definepapersize [SRA3]  [\c!width=320mm,\c!height=450mm]
>
>> From that point of view, the definition is correct.
>
> Tobias
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net