On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:33:34 +0200
Steffen Wolfrum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in some projects the regular " " (empty space) becomes quite wide, in some
> justified paragraphs.
> I guess there is a preset somewhere describing the range how far the space
> can be shrinked/stretched.
> So, in these projects I'd like to have the maximum spacewidth set a bit
> narrower.
>
> Just, where is this definition?
>
> Steffen

Hi Steffen,

the ConTeXt command to control the interword space is \setuptolerance,
the problem is there is by default (correct if I am wrong) no way to
choose a smaller interwordspace.

The low level TeX command to overwrite the default value provided by
the font ist "\spacefactor normalwidth plus stretchfactor minus
shrinkfactor". It is better include such commands only if you know what
you are doing.

I modified ConTeXts \setupinterlinespace to allow you to choose the
option "halfspace" with a narrower interlinespace than the default
value (I tested it oly with Latin Modern).

It could be a bad idea to change also the shrink and stretch values.

\unprotect

\startvariables all
  halfspace: halfspace
\stopvariables

\def\dosetuptolerance[#1]%
  {\doifinsetelse\v!vertical{#1}%
     {\ExpandFirstAfter\processallactionsinset
        [#1]
        [  \v!verystrict=>\def\bottomtolerance{},
               \v!strict=>\def\bottomtolerance{.050},
             \v!tolerant=>\def\bottomtolerance{.075},
         \v!verytolerant=>\def\bottomtolerance{.100}]}%
     {\ExpandFirstAfter\processallactionsinset
        [#1]
        [     \v!stretch=>\emergencystretch\bodyfontsize,
            \v!halfspace=>\spaceskip.25em\!!plus.125em\!!minus.125em\relax,
                \v!space=>\spaceskip.5em\!!plus.25em\!!minus.25em\relax,
           \v!verystrict=>\tolerance 200,
               \v!strict=>\tolerance1500,
             \v!tolerant=>\tolerance3000,
         \v!verytolerant=>\tolerance4500]}}