Jean—

Many thanks for the tip. It turns out that the PDF viewer that comes
with TeXShop is the partly responsible for the problem. The other
part of the problem is with the relative pathnames—which is a
limitation if the aim is to put the PDF files produced on someone
else’s server.

The solution was to use an alias of the target PDF file (symlink?) in
the same Folder (directory) as the .tex source file in which the link
is established and to use another PDF reader.

Many thanks.

Alan