Hans van der Meer wrote:
> Taco and Wolfgang,
>
> Here is your counterexample:
>
> \setupcaptions[number=no] % <<<<<< the culprit
> \starttext

Since you are referencing a non-existing number, I cannot say I am
very surprised get weird output.

The problem is that the reference is actually resolved, but it has
no content (thanks to number=no), and that triggers the special
handling for anonymous references. If the figure appears on a
different page, context will print a triangle pointing to the
left or right instead of the dot. In short: it is a feature.

Best wishes,
Taco