Hello all,

I have to place a number of images into some given-size
frames in a layer. The images should be scaled
proportionally to fit into the frame. The code I'm working
with is:

\defineframed[framedimg][
  frame=on,framecolor=elux,
  background=color,
  backgroundcolor=white,
  width=\wdfig,
  height=\htfigone,
  offset=overlay,
]

\setlayer[figs][voffset=\nextfigvoff]{%
  \framedimg{%
    \externalfigure[#1][
      factor=fit,
      % maxwidth=\wdfig,
      % maxheight=\htfigone,
      % frame=on,
    ]%
  }%
}%

where \wdfig, \htfigone are the frame size and \nextfigvoff
is the vertical offset which must be placed. I've tried
factor=fit, factor=max, but in both cases I get images which
cross the boundaries of the frame, mostly in the horizontal
direction. If I add the maxwidth/maxheight specification,
images don't get scaled at all.

I would expect factor=fit to scale the image in such a way
that the biggest direction fits into the enclosing box,
while factor=max would scale the image in such a way that
the smallest direction fits into the enclosing box. Instead,
in both cases the vertical direction is being fitted, with
no apparent consideration for the horizontal direction.

What am I doing wrong and what should I do to fix it?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta