> mpost seminar.mp
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> (seminar.mp (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metapost/base/TEX.mp)
> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metapost/base/boxes.mp)
>>> boundingbox.currentpicture.enlarged1cm
> ! Improper `clip'.
> <to be read again>
>                    ;
> l.26 ...o boundingbox currentpicture enlarged 1cm;
>
> ?

Oh, seems like I forgot that you wanted to run MetaPost externally.
The command "enlarged" isn't contained in standard MetaPost but only
in the extension MetaFun (i.e. MetaPost plus quite a number of
predefined MetaPost macros) that comes with ConTeXt. Therefore the
error is thrown ...

Why not try this (in ConTeXt):

---

\starttext

\startuseMPgraphic{yourPicture}
        % put your MetaPost code here (without beginfig(); and endfig;)
        setbounds currentpicture to boundingbox currentpicture enlarged 1cm;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\useMPgraphic{yourPicture}

\stoptext

---